At my last visit 4 weeks ago when I took home the orange drink to store in my fridge until ready for use, the midwife and nurse told me that now it was okay to have a small breakfast or something to eat before I take my test if I wanted. It just couldn't be something that would completely spike up my blood levels like candy or soda or sweet pastries. Last time (yes, just last year) they told me to fast from 12AM until the morning test and to only have water. So since this was allowed, I ate a very small clementine that I even shared w/ the hubby. Just something to feel like I swallowed some food and to hold me over until I can get ahold of a sausage biscuit and tater tots after my appointment. I kissed the fam good morning and they wished me luck. I left at 7:45 AM and doctor's office was about a 20 min drive through traffic. I knew I was going to be late.
The thing about these gluecose tests is that you have to drink it, time it and let the receptionist know as soon as you get there that you have a glucose test so that they can get you in to draw your blood at the accurate time. It's a very timely test. If you fail it, you have to come back and do extensive glucose tests that could take up to 4 hours. If it turns out that I have gestational diabetes, then the hard times come and would put me on the strictest diet. So I have to do my part in making sure I do what I am told in taking the test.
Trying to multi-task like a crazy preggo lady, I decided to drive with one hand and position my iPhone in the other to watch the clock and use a timer, all while I was going to drive down GA400 traffic. Haha. I am a smart one. I had to turn down the Bert Show on my radio so I could concentrate.
At exactly 8AM, I hit the timer app on my iPhone, opened my pre-unscrewed drink and began to swallow the HORRIBLE liquid. I already hate orange soda and this drink is the worst of the worst of the flattest most disgusting orange drink ever. YUCK! Good thing I was already in traffic and slowing down. This stuff was nasty, just as I remembered it to be. But I timed it and swallowed it in exactly 60 secs. Great. Easy. Started drink at 8AM and finished at 8:01. I arrived at the doctor office at 8:10, so only ten minutes late. Not bad.
Highlights of my appointment:
- The pee test. Yeah, you would think I would be a pro at taking a clean urine sample and not splash my hand at all. Not this time. Splish, splash. And I thought what a dork, I didn't even write my name on the cup first. There I was trying not to spill it while I used the sharpie.
- I weighed in, and I have gained a total of 20 lbs since pre-pregnancy weight.
- My blood pressure was at 110/60. That's great.
- While waiting in the room for my midwife to show, I actually saw my belly shake. It moved on its own from left to right. The whole belly jiggled. It was cool and bizarre at the same time. Mother nature rocks. Err shakes.
- I loved my nurse April who took all the vital signs. I love it that they know our discomforts and instantly adjusts the patient bed to sit upright so that it's perfectly straight for my back
- Baby eggroll's heartbeat was at 140/min, which was excellent.
- In regards to the pains I have been feeling with all the pressure, strain and discomfort in my pubic bone and my joints which I did not feel while pregnant w/ Henri, my midwife actually said,
"Subsequent pregnancies are harder. Your body is not as strong and tight as it was the first time and you will feel everything much more this time around. With every pregnancy, it seems to get harder, however, the exchange is that labor is so much easier and faster".
"Subsequent pregnancies are harder. Your body is not as strong and tight as it was the first time and you will feel everything much more this time around. With every pregnancy, it seems to get harder, however, the exchange is that labor is so much easier and faster".
OKAY (I think about that family mom at church who has seven kids.).
My check-up ended and she said, perfect timing, it's time to draw your blood. The nurse who took my blood was quick and fast and I'll get my results very soon. I made it to work right at market open and I still had time to grab a sausage biscuit and my tater tots from Chick Fil-A.
share on: facebook
After reading this this morning I drove straight to CFA for tater tots. Thanks ;)
ReplyDelete